I take a big risk on the fourth Thursday of every November. I turn on the oven, slide in the turkey, and leave the house. We go to the movies.
This year, as usual, I crossed my fingers and headed out to see Daniel Craig in the latest Bond film. I’m usually pretty carefree about what’s happening at home during the hours in the darkened theater, but I admit that anxiety sets in as we head back to the house and the unattended bird. (For those of you who have seen Skyfall, I did wonder if my house might look like some scenes in the movie, with flames shooting out of windows.) I was particularly worried this year because I had a sneaking suspicion that my turkey’s poundage was mismarked. It was supposed to be over 22 pounds, but as I pushed the roasting pan into the oven I could tell by the way it cleared the top that maybe it wasn’t quite so large…
There were no flames when I arrived home, but the bird didn’t need the additional hour (it didn’t need an additional minute!) I thought it would require in the oven. We had to pull it immediately and tent it in foil to keep it warm. And as you’d suspect…it was a dry turkey. But, I thought resignedly, I’m sorta known for that (perhaps I should stop going to the movies?). Still, I was a bit disheartened over my bird debacle until I recalled that last year we had a wonderful, delicious, moist turkey. Sure, I had not been alone in its preparation since I was recovering from my fractured leg and subsequent surgery (my mom flew in to help out), but I’d had recent turkey success! To cover up my embarrassment over this year’s near-mummified result, I crowed (heh heh) over last year’s bird to anyone who’d listen (the entire table of fifteen) until Son2 reminded me where last year’s turkey came from…my in-law’s brought it over fully cooked.
So I officially make lousy turkeys. Have you had a holiday food or other kind of disaster? One time I lit a cabinet on fire at our Christmas party. At another holiday get-together here, a guest’s napkin burst into flame when he got it too close to a candle. Tell me the Ridgways aren’t the only ones with these kind of near disasters!